Tuesday, February 10, 2009

CHURCH OF GOD LIFE INSURANCE

My dad, Rev. Allen James Ball, died July 10, 2008. For years he and my mom paid premiums on life insurance provided through the Church of God. Our family received $3,000 from the Church of God insurance company when dad died. My dad's death unearthed an interesting fact: Because my dad died first my 81-year-old mother will receive absolutely nothing from the Church of God insurance company when she dies. Absolutely nothing! And she helped to pay the insurance premiums!

When my dad pastored the Angier, N.C. Church of God, my parents lived in a camper, about 15-feet long. Camping a few days in a camper is much different from living 24-hours a day in one, for months on end. Where do you go if you and your spouse have a tiff--a disagreement? My mother developed her first ulcer living in the cramped quarters of that camper in Angier.

When my dad first began preaching revivals times were tough. He was a very successful radio and television celebrity at one time. He chose to leave radio to become a preacher. I remember a time when we had nothing to eat. I don't mean nothing to eat the way a woman says "I have nothing to wear." We literally had nothing-not one can of food in the cupboards or one bowl of leftovers in the refrigerator. I don't want to embarrass my family if they read this, but this is an issue that needs to be addressed.

You need not consult an actuary to know that men generally die before their spouses do. It's common knowledge. Some widows, after helping to pay for Church of God insurance, as my mother did, are left wanting funds for burial after the death of a spouse . Is it too much to ask that these faithful, hard-working angels of God receive the same benefits of men who serve the ministry? After all, it's the pastor's choice to join the ministry and these faithful ladies follow their husbands from town to town, from church to church, living a lifestyle not of their choosing, receiving none of the glory the pastor receives, sacrificng their own personal wants, needs, and dreams.

We had no water heater in the second home we lived in after dad quit radio. My mom would get up in the morning and warm water on top of a wood heater in the kitchen. She heated water on the heater for my two sisters, for baths, as well.

It's a sad and surprising anomaly that the Church of God, which preaches mercy, giving to others, love, and compassion fails to practice what it preaches, failing to adequately provide assistance in the burial of all of God's children--men and women! I have the right to criticize the Church of God, because I'm a member of a Church of God.

When I speak with young people who are troubled, trying to find a purpose in life, I always say: "No matter what you do in life, always do the right thing." It's a simple motto to which big institutions like the Church of God should adhere.
--ALLEN BALL, Tuesday, February 10, 2009

1 comment:

  1. Your information is not factual! It is defamatory, and invasive of privacy concerning the family. Daddy chose that policy probably 35 years ago or more. The rider on it stated that IF mama died first the policy would pay for her burial. In this case it did not happen and daddy passed away first. He did not purchase or make payments for a policy for mama.

    Daddy chose that particular policy. The Church of God did not force him to choose that particular policy. Unfortunately thru the years they never increased their policy options and were not financially prepared when Daddy passed away. Again, Mama nor Daddy prepared for the future. Who's fault is that?

    Obviously you get joy out of putting the Church of God down that you don't even go to when you get the chance. Then you spread personal information across the web without our permission. That is invasion of privacy.

    You need to read the terms of agreement again, or did you read it at all?

    Your my brother and I love you and this will probably make you mad as it always does. I have learned about you that you don't care how the family feels or how our mother might feel about this. You have over stepped your boundaries with untrue facts and unfair defamation of the Church of God. Daddy loved the Church of God with all of his heart and devoted around 40 years of his life to the Church of God and he would turn over in his grave if he could read this.

    You have embarassed the whole family and made yourself look bad, which you just can not see.

    ReplyDelete